Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How do I care for an overgrown and fallen yucca plant?

My husband and I recently bought a house with some very large yucca plants in the front. The house has been abandoned for many years, so the yuccas were left to fend for themselves. It looks like they've fallen over, as the trunk is horizontal on the ground. Is it possible to get it to stand up again? We'd leave them, but they're sticking out into the driveway. I'm not sure what variety they are, but the leaves are extremely sharp, there aren't any filaments, and they're both huge (3 feet in diameter, easily).

How do I care for an overgrown and fallen yucca plant?
There isn't anyway to straighten a fallen yucca short of putting a cage around it which would look pretty dorky. What you can do, is cut the fallen branches close to the trunk. New yuccas will sprout from that trunk and grow upward.


No comments:

Post a Comment