Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How do I revive an almost dead Yucca Plant??

I rescued an almost dead Yucca plant from work. It has 2 trunks in the pot. The shorter trunk seems fine except for a few dead and yellowing leaves which I cut off. It's the taller trunk I am worried about. I think it is rotten. By the time I was able to rescue it, all the shoots and leaves on the taller trunk were dead and gone. I started cutting off the dead stuff and it was all black underneath. Then I realized that the trunk itself was squishy feeling near the top. I decided to cut off the top of the trunk down to a better part. I cut off about 8 inches. It still looks kind of dark inside, not at bad as near the top, but I am not sure if I should still cut off more. And once I do get to a good place, do I need to "cap" the trunk? The original piece I cut off looks like it had some goop on the top of it to cap it off. I am assuming it was watered too much. Should I take it out of the pot that it is in right now and let it dry out? Do I just leave it out in the sun to dry out?

How do I revive an almost dead Yucca Plant??
Best thing to do is to put it in a new pot with new compost, cut it down to the best part of the stem again and then pour melted wax over the cut end of the stem (this will ensure that no bacteria gets into the stem) I recently did this at college with a yucca plant and it survived.





(You are right, the black gooey stem means it is infected.)
Reply:I would change pots and let it dry out in the sun. Sounds like you are correct in that it got over watered. They are pretty hardy. It may make it.


No comments:

Post a Comment