Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I just bought a YUCCA Root in the edible produce section. It was coated in wax. Will it grow if I plant it?

We really want some of these plants and they are said to grow wild around here, but we haven't found any.


I have planted Jersalem artichokes from the edible produce section and they grow like crazy.





I remember that when I bought elephant ear bulbs (garden section) they were coated in wax.





What do you think? Grow or eat? Yucca..yuch!

I just bought a YUCCA Root in the edible produce section. It was coated in wax. Will it grow if I plant it?
Don't mean to make toots mad, but there is such a thing as a yucca root. It is used a lot in Mexican and Indian cooking. I never heard of that root toots mentioned. We don't have a lot of Cuban and PR cooking where I live.Guess we both learned something. :-) I would cut off a piece, scrap the wax off and plant it, you have nothing to lose. You must be somewhere in the SW as I just go out in the desert, grab a stalk off a plant bring it home and stick it in the ground. If it doesn't grow just get one from HD or Lowe's. They are cheap enough.


P.S. On occasion we eat cactus too. :-)
Reply:What you bought in the store isn't actually "yucca"; it's cassava root. It is called "yuca", and is pronounced "you-kuh". It is used in Cuban and Puerto Rican cooking.


Even if it did sprout, you'd be very disappointed with the results if you were expecting a yucca plant..


No comments:

Post a Comment